Monday 18 January 2010

I am a "TwitFace" - are you??

Did you know they are combining Twitter, Youtube and Facebook?  It's going to be called "You Twitface" - ha de har har, my husband thought that was hilarious!!

I think he's just jealous of the amount of time I spend, talking to people over the net - mostly people I don't know!

I've been on Facebook for quite some time, and love it for keeping me in touch with friends and family, far and near.  I spent my teen years living in South Africa, and FB has been a great way to connect with people there who I rarely see, and we also have lots of friends in Australia.  It's the only way I have of keeping up with their news and family photos - it's great to be able to see my friend's kids, and my nieces, grow up before my eyes! 

And now onto my latest vice, Twitter!  I joined twitter when our fundraising group had an autographed XFactor t-shirt up for auction on Ebay.  It was signed by Alexandra, all of JLS and lots of the other 2008 finalists, and for a couple of weeks I annoyed the hell out of our then 23 followers with constant RT requests and tweets promoting the auction!  Despite my dreaming that this item might be worth hundreds of ££ it sold for a pitiful £62 which was rather disappointing :-(  Anyway, I digress, the point is I was hooked.... the skips of heartbeats when I saw my follower count go up, then the agonising "but why????" when I saw the count drop.... and by this time, people had actually started speaking to me and I realised it's possible to have a great conversation (in 140 characters of course) with someone you've never met!

I started off searching for anyone tweeting about Cancer Research UK - for obvious reasons, but I am actually a fan of anyone working hard for any good cause, and so support many other charities and fundraisers as well.  I have made some amazing friends on Twitter - too many to mention for fear of leaving someone out - and I dearly hope I'll get to meet them all someday.  The only person I will mention by name is Rebecca Joyce, known to many as @bubblybex - this young lady, currently fighting hard to kick cancer herself, has brought together literally thousands of people via Twitter and Facebook.  I read some of the messages of loss and of hope on the facebook pages she has created, and am so proud to 'know' her.... and when she has kicked cancer (which this feisty lass will do, without a doubt), I will make sure I get to meet her in person.

So, dear husband, there is a reason I spend so much time on twitter (and to a lesser degree now, FB) - not only am I am helping to Kick Cancer, but help spread awareness of lots of other great causes, from AIDS, animal welfare and MND to MS and brain-injured children.  SO THERE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment