Monday 10 January 2011

The Year Ahead.....

As you probably already know, I spend most of my free time raising money for Cancer Research UK.... whether it's organising fundraising events, or tweeting, fundraising is always foremost in my mind whatever I'm doing.  My very first blog post goes into the history of why I started and why I continue, so I won't go into all that again....suffice to say it's a cause very close to my heart.

In 2010, our committee raised over £25 000 for the charity, and on a personal level I took part in Shine (CR UK's first night time walking marathon) and 2 Race for Life events, raising just over £1 000 :-)

The Race for Life is one of my loves in life....I love everything about it: the hype when advertising starts, signing up, encouraging others to take part, and of course, being there on the day.  There are people who criticise the Race for Life, and the fact that it's a women's only event - personally, I wouldn't want it any other way.  There's nothing us girls love more than some girly time, being able to have fun, be a bit silly and have a natter - and all for a great cause!!

As much as I love the event, I am finding traditional fundraising (ie begging friends and family to sponsor me!) increasingly difficult.....so this year I decided to change my challenge slightly! 

I have found 3 lovely ladies (and am on the lookout for 2 more!!), who want to take part in Race for Life this year for the very first time (I won't name and shame them just yet!) - I will take part in a Race for Life event for each of these lovely ladies, in some cases, we can take part together where geography allows, where it doesn't, I'll do an additional event local to me, on or around the same date as theirs. I will still try to raise some money for my RFL events, but am hoping that I can make up for possible lack of funds, firstly by encouraging my lovely ladies in their own fundraising and training and secondly by tweeting and blogging about the 5 events and helping to raise awareness of Race for Life in general.

I will also be taking part in Shine again, this time in London - this takes part at the beginning of October, so watch this space :-)

For more information on the Race for Life series of events, please visit http://www.raceforlife.org/ - registration will be opening soon!  For more information on Shine events in London, Manchester and Glasgow, see here http://shine.cancerresearchuk.org/

Thanks for reading.....Together we will beat cancer....

Nancy x

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I've added a link to your blog via my blog, I think it's brave of you signing up for more than one Race for Life.

    I am doing my second and this time I am going in for 10k and of course another Shine Walk and we're thinking of heading back to London - it's just stunning at night.

    Have fun with the blog, I look forward to reading more and Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete