Sunday 21 October 2012

The charity night of the year!!

If you're reading this, you no doubt know I do a lot of fundraising for Cancer Research UK....I became involved as a volunteer fundraiser after losing my dear friend Sarah to cancer in 2008.  It amazes me every day when I see people passionately raising funds and awareness for a cause close to them - one such person who I came across on twitter last year, through my connection to CRUK, was Harry Moseley.

Harry sadly lost his life, way too young, to brain cancer on 8th October 2011....but in his short life, he touched so many hearts with his love for life, and his passion for helping others.  I was honoured earlier this year, to take part in the Reading Half Marathon as part of team Running for Harry and have been so touched to see people from all around the country, and indeed the world, fundraising in his memory.

When Harry's Ball was announced on twitter, and I saw my lovely friend Michelle Porter announce she was organising a twitter table, I jumped at the chance to be a part of what was sure to be an unforgettable event....


A few months after booking my ticket, Cancer Research UK announced the UK Stand Up To Cancer event....on the same night as Harry's Ball.  I was disappointed to find I'd be missing such a huge event, for a charity I'm so passionate about, but at the end of the day it was a TV show....and also quite fitting that 2 such major events should be running concurrently.

I was absolutely wowed by Harry's Ball.....fantastic organisation - not by people in the events business who get paid to run slick, posh parties - but by two people, touched by Harry and his story, who threw their hearts into putting on an event enjoyed by over 1200 people!


If you're ever lucky enough to meet Harry's mum, and listen to her speak about Harry, and Help Harry Help Others, you will clearly see where Harry got his determination, spirit and kind heart.  Losing a child is every parent's worst nightmare, and yet the strength she has shown despite her pain, inspires me every day.

For anyone who doesn't have a charity particularly close to them, but would like to get involved with a fantastic cause, please consider supporting Help Harry Help Others - not only are they helping to fund vital research into brain cancer, but they are also helping families affected by cancer with financial and emotional support.

The above photo is now known as my 'I carried a watermelon' moment....when Oliver Phelps so patiently posed for 3 takes of this photo, and all I could think of to say was 'which twin are you?' :D (if you don't get that movie quote, shame on you!!).

Thanks to my lovely companions Amanda, Claire and Lisa and to Michelle for organising our tickets and hotel, if it hadn't been for Michelle's help, I would probably not have made it to the ball!

Thanks also to organisers Pete and Tim, to the gorgeous Jack Groom for my kiss and to Harry's mum, Georgie for being just amazing.

I'm thrilled to say that Harry's Ball raised an incredible £101k...amazing!  And while the ball was in full swing, the UK pulled together and raised an amazing £6.5million for Cancer Research UK's life-saving work!

Together, we will beat cancer
Nx


No comments:

Post a Comment