Monday 29 March 2010

I Give Up!!!!

Despite the tone of the title, this isn't me being stroppy about something.... and steady on, keep those 'for a change' comments to yourselves!!  This is about doing something simple.... for good.... something that everyone can take part in!

So, one of my favourite tweeps @HaveFunDoGood posts a link.... and before I know it I've committed myself to giving up my all time, absolute, struggle to live without when they're not in season, confection - the Cadbury Creme Egg.  Not permanently, just for 30 days.... and why?  It's all to do with the 'Kick Bullying into Touch' campaign for the NSPCC's Childline. 

But why Creme Eggs?  Well, I decided if I was going to take part, I needed to give up something realistic (ie not giving up all chocolate, I would never stick to it!) yet something I'd miss (ie not coffee as I don't drink it!).  So, I settled on Creme Eggs - they'd not long been back in the shops, I'd already scoffed boxoads in the short time they had been available, and I decided it would probably do me good personally to give them up, as well as doing my bit for the campaign!

I started by completely banning them from the house - I told my family what I was doing and why and so basically they have taken part with me (unless they've been secretly eating them whilst hiding in a cupboard somewhere!).  Once the house was creme-egg free it was just a matter of avoiding them in the shops - which isn't easy given they're at every checkout, in every shop, everywhere!  Things became much easier for me on about day 10 when the lovely @JuicyJulesRocks joined me in giving them up - then I felt I couldn't back out!  Seeing her #nocremeeggsforthirtydays tweets kept me on the straight and narrow, and bless her, she still has a week to go (over Easter!!).

Anyway, day 30 came along and I settled down in front of Lost on the telly, with a jar full of mini creme eggs - I had 2 and have to say what I thought was going to be quite an exciting event, wasn't.... that was it, I didn't even fancy them for the rest of the weekend.  I did have a proper sized one today - just to be sure, as you would, and was left feeling equally unimpressed!  In fact I think my obsession might be cured....

As a lover of all good causes, I'm always on the lookout for new awareness campaigns, charity events, and fundraising ideas, and this campaign was an easier than expected way do do my little bit! 

The Kick Bullying into Touch campaign runs until 29th May (which just so happens to be my birthday!!), so there's still plenty of time to take part..... what could you give up?

1 comment:

  1. awww so kind. I gave up red pesto for a month due to my obsession with putting it on everything from sandwiches to baked potatoes to risotto. dont cringe. i love pesto more than anything. but i prefer mascarpone on pasta. hmmm.

    @HaveFunDoGood
    http://www.twitter.com/HaveFunDoGood

    ReplyDelete